Back in 1955, Providence High School (PHS) opened its doors to 81 eager female students. Even in its first few years, PHS was growing and changing in small but significant ways to meet the emerging needs of students. By 1960, the Board of Admissions and Relations of the University of California granted accreditation to PHS and the school has enjoyed continuous accreditation by the Western Association of Schools and Colleges.
In 1974, the school included boys in its education mission after discussions with the Archdiocese. Several large construction projects were completed to expand the school’s capacity to accommodate the new students.
In the 1980s, enrollment declined steadily as the number of Catholic schools grew in the area. By 1988, the Sisters of Providence decided to close the school, but a group of determined parents banded together with the school’s principal to stop the closing and improve enrollment. Some of the school’s current admissions programs are still in place today due to the success it had in 1988 and ever since in recruiting new students. It even laid the groundwork for the school’s current focus programs.
The 1990s were a time of continued growth for PHS, which celebrated the school’s recognition as a National Blue Ribbon School of Excellence by the United States Department of Education.
In 2000, PHS held a groundbreaking ceremony for the planned student activity center and construction of the new facility, featuring a gym, conference room, snack shop, weight room and exercise room that opened in stages between 2001 and 2002. Shortly after, a new lunch/quad area was unveiled.
In 2011 PHS was named a CIF Champion for Character School, and we saw the opening of our new science center for biology, physics and chemistry, a growing area of study here.
PHS has risen to every occasion and opportunity presented in the last 50+ years, and will continue to grow to meet the needs of its student community.