Providence Parents/Guardians and Students,
We hope that you and your family are safe and well. The latest surge of COVID-19 cases has required us to reevaluate our plans in the interest of the health of our community. Out of an abundance of caution, Providence High School will begin the spring semester with comprehensive testing and four days of remote learning from Tuesday, January 11 through Friday, January 14, 2022.
We will return to on-campus learning on Tuesday, January 18 after the Martin Luther King Jr. holiday on Monday, January 17. Providence High School will require PCR testing of all students, faculty, staff, and coaches, regardless of vaccination status, before returning to campus on January 18. We will also implement mandatory weekly testing for four weeks following our return. Testing options will be made available on campus. Please continue to read for more information on remote learning and required testing.
January 11 – 14: Remote Learning
All classes will meet live on Microsoft Teams using the following block schedule (as already published on our school calendar). Teachers will take student attendance in all classes.
- Tuesday, January 11: 0-1-B-3-L-5-7
- Wednesday, January 12: 0-2-B-4-L-6-X
- Thursday, January 13: 0-3-B-5-L-7-1
- Friday, January 14: 0-4-B-6-L-X-2
A few reminders before the four days of remote learning:
- Communication is key. As always, students should reach out to their teachers and counselors if they have issues with a particular class or need extra support.
- Teachers are aware that students may not have access to their on-campus materials (notebooks, textbooks, etc.) Teachers will adapt their classes with this information in mind.
- It is highly recommended that families designate an area for schoolwork such as a specific desk, table, or counter. Students should avoid working from their beds.
- Please review our Device Tech & Specs page for information about software downloads and hardware recommendations. Students experiencing issues with their online school accounts should submit a request to the Student Help Desk.
Information on X-Block & Co-Curriculars:
- Stay Updated: Please view the school calendar for the most up-to-date changes:
- Course Selection: On January 14, during X-Block, Advisory teachers will post a link to the Course Selection Kickoff Microsoft Teams meeting in their Advisory channel. Counselors will facilitate those grade-level meetings to provide students with an overview of course selection and scheduling for the 2022-2023 school year.
Athletics: All PHS athletic games and practices have been suspended until further notice. Mr. James Jimenez, Athletic Director, will update the student-athletes and families in the coming weeks.
Mandatory COVID-19 PCR Testing
Before our in-person return planned for Tuesday, January 18, all students, faculty, staff, and coaches, regardless of vaccination status, must submit a negative PCR test by testing at Providence High School or with an outside company. As an additional safety measure, mandatory weekly testing will be implemented through the week of February 9, 2022. On-campus testing options will be available for students, faculty/staff, and coaches for your convenience.
On-Campus Testing (Appointments required):
Providence High School will offer testing on campus at no cost on the following days and times. Appointments must be made with COVID Testing Today in advance.
Required Testing Dates for Return
Must choose one of the following dates if testing on-campus.
- Thursday, January 13, 12:30-2:30pm
- Friday, January 14, 7:30-9:30am
Future Required Testing Dates
Must choose one of the following dates each week if testing on-campus.
- Week 1
- January 20 from 7:30am - 9:00am
- January 21 from 7:30am - 9:30am
- Week 2
- January 27 from 7:30am - 9:00am
- January 28 from 7:30am - 9:30am
- Week 3
- February 2 from 7:30am - 9:00am
- Week 4
- February 9 from 7:30am - 9:00am
Please note: On-campus Testing Dates in February are to be confirmed and will be shared in the Weekly Bulletin. Please check COVID Testing Today for the most updated dates and appointments available.
Those who elect to use an off-campus testing facility must be tested between Thursday, January 13 and Friday, January 14, with test results submitted to the Assistant to the Dean of Students, Ms. Kimberlee Kirsch by Monday, January 17 to be eligible to return to campus on Tuesday, January 18.
Those who cannot test on campus during the 4-week mandatory testing period may do so at an off-campus testing facility and submit results to the Assistant to the Dean of Students, Ms. Kimberlee Kirsch. Tests must be conducted between Wednesday and Friday of those weeks.
View COVID-19 Testing Options on our Update Center.
Boosting and Masking
Vaccines and masking remain our most important tools for keeping our community safe and healthy. Providence highly recommends that everyone who is eligible receive a COVID-19 vaccination booster as soon as possible. See the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention for recommendations and eligibility.
Given the increased virulence of the omicron variant, it is highly recommended that everyone upgrade to N95 or KN95 masks. Tightly woven and form-fitting cloth masks are acceptable, but not as effective at capturing small particles and aerosols that carry coronavirus. Surgical masks like N95 and KN95, fit more snuggly and have an electrostatic charge that filters much more effectively.
While this is not the way any of us wanted to start 2022, we are immensely thankful for your help in keeping our community’s health and safety a top priority. This plan is the best way to ensure that the rest of the semester is safe and on-campus. We hope you can enjoy the remaining days of break and this Christmas season.
Mr. Scott McLarty
Head of School